Tuesday, November 21, 2006

World's gone crazy!

Okay ... so Mel Gibson is anti-semetic - after that movie some people thought that wasn't even a big stretch. He was drunk and off to rehab he goes ... is there any fallout?

Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) lost his mind recently! He started yelling at some black hecklers ugly racial remarks and then kept repeating a racial epithet (N-word) over and over ... He "apoligized" on Dave Letterman ... but no drinking, no rehab ... the "hate" lives in me somewhere. Huh? They were talking about this on The View today (okay ... I am outed - I shamelessly TIVO daytime talk shows!). Joy Behar had a great point! She says that Mel Gibson's power makes his views more dangerous than Richard's. In my sociology class I have been learning about the -isms (racism, sexism, classism, etc.) and how that power and privilege piece is actually VERY important in changing the society's constructs and moving the country forward. Interesting that we are having a "rash" of these incidents lately ... what stereotypes do you hold?

As that relates to nursing ... I just submited a paper on Anti-Fat bias in healthcare. I was AMAZED at the research available in how nurses and other health professionals treat large patients differently that other patients - the thing that kept coming through in all the research is the personal beliefs behind the behaviors. Equal access to healthcare is hard to achieve. Open-mindedness is even harder.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow, I am enjoying your blog. Where do you find the time? As for 'isms', I have 'agism' and sometimes, well, most of the time, have trouble finding empathy and compassion for grumpy, mean, old people.

Heidi said...

Hey, thanks for putting me as a link. I will do the same for you as soon as I figure out how!